A globally acknowledged gateway to scholarly information.
To provide contemporary information services that will empower the University in carrying out its core activities; teaching, learning, research, and extension services.
- Selecting and acquiring relevant and up-to-date information resources for all programs to support teaching, learning, and extension services.
- Organize all the information materials in the Library using internationally accepted standards to allow easy access and retrieval.
- Continuously offer information literacy and orientation to all users through a variety of methods in order to provide guidance on the use of information resources.
- Organize and preserve all locally produced knowledge within the University of Embu and provide open access anywhere and at any time
The University library has a sitting capacity of 850. The library facilities include:
- A total stock of approximately 20,000 volumes, inclusive of books, periodicals, and other non-print materials. The stock is divided into general lending materials and specialized research collections. Books in the library system are classified by the Library of Congress Classification Scheme.
- The library has subscribed to electronic information resources provided through Kenya Library and Information Science Consortium (KLISC), The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL), Similarity checking software, Open Access resources, remote access software.
- The sections of the library include circulation desks, reprographics section, postgraduate sections, information commons/discussion rooms, Africana, periodicals, electronic resources laboratory, boardroom, information literacy rooms, and technical sections.
- The library is fully automated and also Wi-Fi enabled and fitted with electrical/internet fittings accessories for use both at night and day.
University of Embu Library Services
- Circulation: i.e issuing of books, returning, renewals & Reservations
- Online Public Access Catalogue
- E-Resources: i.e E-journals, E-books, Newspapers, Exam past papers, off-campus access to electronic resources
- Audio Visual Services
- Reprographic services
- Current Awareness Services: i.e Display of books and updates on new information resources.
- Institutional Repository.
- Selective Dissemination of Information Service
The physical layout of the library
|Ground floor||Humanities Library – classes (A to P), Reprographics section, Electronic Resources Lab, Information Commons, Postgraduates section, Special needs section, Circulation/Issue Desk, and Deputy Librarian office amongst others.|
|First floor||Law Library – (classes’ J and K), Circulation/Issue Desk, Librarian office, Periodicals Section, Boardroom, and general reading sections amongst others.|
|Second floor||Pure and Applied Science library – (Classes Q- Z), Postgraduates sections, and staff information commons for staff amongst others.|