- How do I join the Library? Library mainly serves the University of Embu community i.e. Students, Staff, and Alumni.
- Can I borrow items using another patron’s Identity Card? It is prohibited to use other patron’s document(s) to borrow Library items.
- How do I know the status of books I have borrowed and the date for returning? There are two ways to know the status of loaned books.
Log in to your library account from the library catalog homepage through the University network of computer terminals, or anywhere through the University website. Once logged in using your credentials (username and Password), you will see a listing of all the items in your custody including their details. For details on how to renew, read the next section.
Please contact the Library help desk for assistance.
- How do I borrow/renew my books?
Borrowing and Renewing Items
To borrow, take the item(book, DVD, CD etc) to the circulation desk. The item will be issued to you upon presenting a student’s ID.
To renew items online, log in to your library account using your credentials (username and password). A list of all items in your custody will appear including details of when they are due. Click on renew to renew the item/s
Renewals will not be accepted if:
- The item is overdue and accruing fines
- The item is on hold for someone else,
- A recall has been made on that particular item or,
- you have reached the maximum renewing limit (twice).
- What are the borrowing rules and privileges?UserCheckout allowedissue/loan periodoverdue fine per dayRenewals allowedUndergraduate student23051Postgraduate student63052Administrative staff33052Academic staff (FT)612051Academic staff (PT)63022
- How much is charged on overdue
- How do I extend loan period of a library material? Present the material and your ID to library staff at issue desk
- What should I do when I find the library records do not match with the actual book? In such a case, please bring your library card to the circulation desk. Always check your records to see that your details and those of items borrowed tally.
- Why is it that a book is indicated as available in the database, but cannot be traced on the shelves? Our library is open-shelf and some readers leave books around, which results in this situation. Please ask for clarification at the circulation desk.
- Can a patron with expired library items continue to borrow books? Accounts of patrons with expired books are automatically locked out by the system. This means that they cannot continue to borrow books until they return the overdue items and further pay the accrued fines.
- How do I recommend the library to purchase new books and journals? Once logged into your account, click on purchase suggestions where you can leave your suggestions and comments. The acquisition librarian will act on them.
- How do I know which journals the library has subscribed to? Log In to your account via the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). You will see a list of all the e-resources databases Prof. George Magoha Library has subscribed to.
- How comes there are fines in my account? There are two reasons as to why fines appear in your account: When Items are overdue, fines start accruing 5/- per an Item per day.
- What happens to my account if I happen to lose a Library Item? Check the Library shelves in case it has been returned then inform the Librarian at the issue desk. If unsuccessful, the Library will assist in making a series of checks to ensure that the book is found. If still not found after one month it will be listed as lost and you will be required to make a replacement for the lost item including a processing fee of Ksh. 500.00.
- Is it possible to stop fines from accruing in my account when I lose a library item meanwhile as I look for it? Yes. But for this to be effected, you need to report immediately the item is lost. Contact the Librarian for more details.
- I returned a Library Information Material some time ago but I have just received an overdue notice. What should I do? Every item checked out under your account means that you are liable and subsequently responsible for the item/s checked out under your account. Therefore, you are required to take care of them. Make sure you return the same properly. However, check your account regularly and inform the Librarian immediately of any inconsistency.
- I received an alert notice that an item on my account is now overdue and accruing fines. What do I do? If you still have the item in your possession, kindly return it! You will be charged a fine if you don’t.
- What should I do if the item listed as ‘available’, cannot be found on the open shelves? In most cases, another user may be consulting it; check the reading tables next to the first shelves of every floor of the library. It may recently have been returned to the Library and is waiting for re-shelving.
- How do I access Past Exam Papers? To access the past exam papers, Go to library website (library.embuni.ac.ke)Click on the link provided to you at the top of the site (Past Exam Papers)Choose your appropriate sub-community from either undergraduate (for diploma/ Bachelors) or Postgraduate (Masters/Ph.D.):
Choose your department from the collection options provided.
Browse/search within the collection by either using:
Unit code e.g COM 100
Unit name e.g Communication SkillsSave the results by downloading them to your PC.NB: Login to the e-resources portal (Remote Access) to get more information and PDF password for past papers
- How do I reserve a library space?Click on the link provided on the home page quick-links labeled library reservation formFill the form appropriately and you will receive a confirmation mailProvide the email sent to you by library system to the security guard at the library entrace
Have a question that’s not listed?
Kindly send your questions, comments or suggestions via the E-Mail email@example.com , leave a message by clicking on the icon to the bottom right of this page, Phone, In-Person or Chat with us.